Director of Innovation Mapping
Juan leads a team of data scientists, developers, visualisers and innovation experts who use new datasets, analytics methods and visualisation tools to inform innovation policy.
Juan is currently working on EURITO, a 3-year project to develop new innovation indicators for the EU, and a Health Innovation Mapping project with the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation in the US. Before this, he led Arloesiadur, a project to map innovation in Wales, and several high-impact projects about the geography of the creative industries in the UK (most recently, Creative Nation).
Some areas of interest:
- How new ideas emerge and develop in complex systems
- Data science, Machine Learning and AI (with Python)
- Use of visualisation to inform decision-making
- The organisation of innovation policy
- Economic and societal impacts of AI and policy implications
Prior to joining Nesta, Juan worked as a researcher at SPRU (Science Policy Research Unit) at the University of Sussex, and CENTRIM at the University of Brighton.
Juan has a degree in Economics (with distinction) for Universidad de Salamanca (Spain), and an MSc (with distinction) in Science and Technology Policy from SPRU, University of Sussex.
Email: [email protected]