Everyone Makes Innovation Policy: Eligibility and selection criteria
Nesta is offering grants of up to £15,000 to projects that demonstrate creative ways of engaging members of the public in issues relating to innovation policy
1. We welcome applications from organisations based anywhere in the UK, including universities and research organisations, charities, public sector bodies, community organisations and companies. We will not fund individuals.
2. We are interested in ways in which the public can influence decision making. We are not looking to fund projects that focus solely on communication of research, such as science festivals or events, videos or other media.
3. Nesta can only fund projects which advance our charitable objects for public benefit. Nesta's charitable objects include advancing industry, commerce and social enterprise which relieves poverty, relieves unemployment, advances health, advances environmental protection or improvement and sustainable development, or advances citizenship or community development, through encouraging and supporting innovation. This call is designed primarily to address this charitable object.
4. The outcomes of your project will need to be made public/published openly as a condition of funding. We will work with you to prepare this in a format suitable for publication on the Nesta website. You must keep accurate records of your expenditure of the grant and comply with Nesta’s monitoring requirements.
5. We will consider applications for projects that have additional funding, although all proposals should demonstrate the added value of Nesta funds and clearly show what the Nesta-funded component of the project is.
Selection and evaluation criteria
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria and weighting:
- Originality and creativity of the proposed engagement methods We’re looking for ideas that offer potential for learning and could provide inspiration for others - 30 per cent weighting
- Robustness and feasibility of the proposed engagement methods We’re looking for a well thought through methodology and a realistic project plan that convinces us the project can be delivered - 25 per cent
- Potential outcomes of the proposed engagement activities Influencing policy is rarely a direct or predictable process, but we’d like to know what you hope will come out of the project, including for participants themselves - 20 per cent
- Track record of the team and organisation(s) in engaging members of the public in policy or decision-making - 25 per cent
- 1-3 Proposal provides Nesta with a poor to weak level of confidence in the proposer’s ability to meet the requirements of the Call for Ideas
- 4-6 Proposal provides Nesta with a moderate to good level of confidence in the proposer’s ability to meet the requirements of the Call for Ideas
- 7-8 Proposal provides Nesta with a very good level of confidence in the proposer’s ability to meet the requirements of the Call for Ideas
- 9-10 Proposal provides Nesta with a high level of confidence in the proposer’s ability to meet the requirements of the Call for Ideas