17 June 2014 - 5:30pm
Over recent years we have seen an explosion of programmes based on the LeanStartup methodology, but more recently there has been yet another model emerging - Startup Studios. This event aimed to better understand this model, and ask:
- What are Startup Studios and how do they work?
- Are they a better or just different way of building successful tech companies?
- How transferable is the studio model beyond digital – for example to resource-intensive sectors such as medtech and cleantech
- What are the problems, pitfalls and lessons learned for people interested in trying this model or supporting Startup Studios?
- What’s next – can Startup Studios have a bigger impact on startup ecosystems in the coming years?
To discuss this, our expert panel was chaired by technology expert Mike Butcher and included:
- Reshma Sohoni (startup expert & co-founder of Seedcamp)
- Nick Marsh (Makeshift, UK)
- Nic Brisbourne (Forward Ventures)
- Tim Morgan (MintDigital, UK)
We are also ran a Workshop in the afternoon for startup studios and startup/technology experts keen on fleshing out what makes Startup Studios different, exploring best practices and developing visions for the future.
What's new in building successful tech startups?
Startups Studios: A new model?