Senior Researcher/Project Manager (Collective Intelligence and Digital Social Innovation
Nesta is looking for a Senior Researcher to support the development of a new programme of work looking at collective intelligence design.
Specifically the job will be to support the programme lead in undertaking analysis of the state of play and trends in the field of collective intelligence, designing programmes and experiments, interviews, designing events and developing case studies.
Digital platforms offer the potential to assemble people and knowledge as never before. Alongside this there has been rapid advances in Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning techniques that have enabled new ways of capturing, analysing and learning from large amounts of complex data. To date the vast majority of practice, policy and research has focused on these areas separately, with little attention given to the potential for innovation when human and machine intelligence is combined and how this can enable a new form of collective intelligence that make it possible for organizations and societies to think at large scale to solve the great challenges of our time
There is lots of promising practice around the world, but very little systematic theory, codified knowledge, or a profession to do this well.
The aim of the new programme will be to link together the best projects and practitioners worldwide, help support the UK to be a global lead in this area and run practical projects which exemplify how this can be done well. As part of this the programme aims to work closely with organisations on the forefront of developing collective and artificial intelligence initiatives and but with a strong focus on social applications and benefits.
We are looking for a researcher to support Nesta’s programme lead with scoping out and delivering this new programme of work.
We don’t expect the candidate to be an expert on collective or artificial intelligence but to be a self starter that can quickly get up to speed on a new subject area. Specifically the role will involve:
- To carry out day-to-day project management of the programme development
- Undertake desk based research analysing the state of play in collective intelligence
- Interview key stakeholders, including funders, policy makers, academics and practitioners, working on collective intelligence.
- Help organise and run events and workshops.
- Work with internal project teams and external contractors where required, including delegating to other staff where necessary
- To create insightful, compelling, actionable research outputs to an excellent written standard for a range of audiences, and disseminate these widely to ensure impact
- Writing content for Nesta’s website such as case studies and blog posts.
- Preferably some demonstrable knowledge of the use and impact of collective and machine intelligence
- Preferably some expertise in social innovation or innovation in public services built on a successful track record of working in policy and research in this area
- Project management experience, including experience experience of designing, planning, and delivering programmes of research or analysis
- Strong ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, and ideally, experience of working with international partners
- Demonstrable qualitative and quantitative research skills and strong problem-solving and analytic ability
- A self starter, with experience of successfully working in fast-paced research or think tank environment, getting up-to-speed quickly with new subject areas and juggling light-touch short-term and larger in-depth pieces of research
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and ability to present analytical and research material in an articulate and legible way for a range of different audiences
- Educated to degree level
Apply using the link below by Tuesday 22nd May at 12pm
First stage interviews will take place on Tuesday 29th or Wednesday 30th May