Did you know that... two out of ten people in the world do not have access to energy? That four out of ten people use wood, charcoal, coal and dung for cooking and heating? Every year smoke from open cooking fires kills approximately 1.5 million people, mostly women and children, from emphysema and other respiratory diseases.
After partnering on a Renewable Energy Challenge Prize, Nesta and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) held this event to explore breakthrough energy innovations and the role of challenges to spur innovative solutions to these dire challenges.
- Geoff Mulgan, Nesta CEO
- Sarah Butler-Sloss founder of Ashden Awards for Sustainable Energy
- Vicki Purewal, Head of Challenge Prize Design at Nesta's Center for Challenge Prize
- Wanda Halbert, Marketing Manager, Azuri Technologies
- Huw Bement, Sales Director, Firefly
- Lucy Conway - Eiggbox
- Yuri Afanasiev, UN Ambassador for Bosnia and Herzegovina