This paper looks at why the UK needs one million new creative jobs by 2030 and offers five sets of policy recommendations for government to achieve this.
- The government should end the bias against multi–disciplinary education in our education system – turning STEM into STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics).
- BIS and DCMS should establish a competitive £100 million strategic fund using Regional Growth Fund money to develop creative clusters outside London, with matched funding from the private sector, local authorities and cultural funders.
- The government should ensure that the UK’s digital infrastructure allows creative businesses to develop the next generation of world–beating content, services and apps by creating a £100 million Ultrafast Digital Infrastructure Demonstrator fund.
- Public funders should make their arts funding go further by promoting new and innovative financing models.
- The government should establish a National Lottery distributor for the video games industry, following the model of the BFI.
Hasan Bakhshi and George Windsor