Why are we doing this?
What are we doing?
- Through two open calls we have conducted a nationwide search for the best and most radical ideas for new ways to support and encourage giving, reviewing almost 1,000 ideas, interviewing well over 100 teams of innovators and ultimately awarding grants and non-financial support to 56 innovations. You can find the full portfolio of open call awardees here, along with their contact details and video pitches.
- In a bid to engage more charities with new innovations in giving, Nesta set up The Open Innovation Programme, which engaged with 60 established charities with national reach to test their appetite to source ideas from beyond their organisational boundaries. In December 2012, we selected ten charities to find, adopt and scale innovations in giving that showed the potential to solve some of their biggest challenges.
- The UK’s volunteering infrastructure has faced some serious challenges in the last 18 months, and there is a clear need to work with Volunteer Centres specifically to increase their impact and financial sustainability. As part of the fund, in early 2013 Nesta launched the Volunteer Centre Programme. We engaged with 90 local infrastructure organisations through regional events and ultimately selected eight for intensive support to develop their ideas and to encourage them to think about innovation as a deliberate strategy for increasing the impact of their work.
- In February 2013, we launched our work to support impact volunteering in hospitals with a partnership with King’s College Hospital to dramatically expand their ‘King’s Volunteers’ model within the hospital, and piloting a new initiative to support patients once back at home. A deeper impact evaluation of this work has begun and Nesta will be creating a Play Book, or ‘how to guide’, for any hospital wanting to set up their own successful volunteer programme.
- If you’re interested in attending events and sessions to share some of what we’ve learned through the fund and meet with awardees, please contact email@example.com
Meet the innovators in giving
Read about all the projects we've backed on our Innovation in Giving Fund website