On 11 October 2016, The Readie Policy Summit brought together for the first time over 100 ministers, state secretaries, policy units and elected representatives from 23 countries who are shaping digitalisation strategies across Europe. The summit was held in Berlin, in partnership with the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung.
The event provided an exclusive opportunity to look in-depth at innovative policy examples from across Europe, from digital skills initiatives like Estonia’s ProgeTiger to Germany’s High-Tech Gründerfonds, Startup Portugal and the UK’s regulatory sandbox for FinTech. Speakers from the world’s leading digital businesses such as Uber, Google and Airbnb as well as top executives from Blacklane, Cisco, and Blippar also provided an ‘end-user’ perspective.
Why this summit?
Amid the buzzwords and hype we do not discuss the existing policies that harness what digital technology can do for Europe enough. Which digital policies benefit entrepreneurs, business and society? How might we design better ones? The Readie Policy Summit provided a unique forum for key decision-makers from many countries to come together and address these questions by sharing their experiences, strategies and new approaches.
Countries and organisations speaking included:
- German Chancellery (State Minister, Helge Braun)
- Slovenian Government (Deputy Prime Minister, Boris Koprivnikar)
- German Parliament (Member and Deputy Chair of the CDU/CSU, Nadine Schön and Thomas Jarzombek, Spokesperson, Digital Agenda Committee)
- Financial Conduct Authority, UK (Innovation Hub Team Leader, Tasneem Sharafally)
- Taiwan's former Digital Minister, Jaclyn Tsai
- Estonian Government (Member of the Estonian EU Affairs Committee, Kalle Palling)
- DIMECC, Finland (CEO, Harri Kulmala)
- Startup Portugal (CEO, Simon Schaefer)
- Uber (Director of EU Public Policy and Government Relations, Agata Wejman)
- Just Eat (Chief Operating Officer, Adrian Blair)
- Blacklane (Co-founder & CEO Dr Jens Wohltorf)
- Blippar (COO, Danny Lopez)
- Raspberry Pi Foundation (CEO, Philip Colligan)
- Google (Director, EMEA Public Policy, Nicklas Lundblad)
- DIGITALEUROPE (Policy Director, Damir Filipovic)
- Conseil Nationale du Numérique, France (President, Mounir Mahjoubi)
The full agenda and speakers can be viewed here.