D-CENT (Decentralised Citizens Engagement Technologies) is a Europe-wide project bringing together citizen-led organisations that have transformed democracy in the past years, and helping them in developing the next generation of open source, distributed, and privacy-aware tools for direct democracy and economic empowerment.
The D-CENT team gave presentations demonstrating the technology and highlighting key insights learnt from direct democracy activity in Barcelona, Reykjavik, Helsinki and Madrid.
In addition, a panel of movers and shakers in the UK digital democracy scene discussed the practicalities of applying similar approaches in UK cities and how to use digital technology to reinvigorate democracy and participation in the UK.
The event was chaired by Geoff Mulgan, Chief Executive of Nesta and Francesca Bria, Senior Project Lead at the Nesta Innovation Lab.
- Natalie Eskinazi, Software Developer, ThoughtWorks
- Pablo Aragón, Researcher, Digital Humanities Unit, Eurecat
- Robert Bjarnson, Co-Founder, Citizens Foundation
- Jaakko Korhonen, Interaction Designer, Open Knowledge Foundation Finland
- Helen Milner, Chief Executive, Tinder Foundation; Member of Speakers’ Commission on Digital Democracy
- Andy Williamson, Founder, Democratise and Democracy Space
- Sym Roe, Founder, Democracy Club
- Will Perrin, Trustee, Indigo Trust; Director, Talk About Local, NED Tinder Foundation