Food Open Data Challenge question announced + applications open
I am delighted to announce that Nesta and the Open Data Institute have today selected and launched the final Food Open Data Challenge Question:
How can we use open data to help people eat more healthily, eat more sustainably and / or have a more secure food chain?
Thank you to those who attended the Challenge Definition Workshop and to those who gave us their expert advice over the last month which has informed the selection of the question.
The Challenge is now open to applicants
We are looking for individuals or teams who have great ideas to solve any one or a combination of the issues outlined in the challenge question by creating a specific product or service powered by open data.
Perhaps you work at an existing business, run a food related startup, or herald from a social enterprise, design agency, community group, research institution, university or special interest group. Regardless of your day-job, if you have an idea that responds to this challenge and/or would like to be in the running for a £40,000 prize, please read on.
Meetup and get inspired
On Wednesday 3 September 2014, we will be running an evening Meetup which will be co-hosted with Food Tech Wednesdays. This is an opportunity to meet other interested parties, learn more about the challenge, receive guidance on how to use the data guide and learn about user research. RSVP now and bring along all your questions and ideas.
Keen without an idea?
If an idea doesn’t immediately spring to mind but you are keen to participate in the challenge, don’t worry - we have some useful tools and opportunities that are available during the application period to support you:
- User Research: Shortly after the meetup we will launch some user research to help participants better understand the landscape of the challenge question and to target their ideas towards the greatest possible societal impact.
- Food HackPad with resources and ideas
- A data guide to help you explore the existing open datasets
- A data quality indicator to help you determine which datasets are easiest to use from an ‘open perspective’
- EVENT: Food Open Data Challenge September Meetup, Wednesday 3 September - RSVP
- As the Food Challenge Champion, I am available to support your idea development and to offer advice, you can email me [email protected] or tweet @SECRETSEEDSoc
APPLYING to participate in the challenge is very simple. If you are ready to post your idea, here’s how:
- Register and create a personal profile on the CollabFinder page.
- Once complete, add your project to the Challenge Page. Including a description of your product/service and a link to the open data that you will be using.
- Deadline for posting your project is midday Monday 27 October.
- To help you navigate the application process, we’ve created some key resources:
We are already looking forward to seeing your ideas and hope to see you at the meetup soon!
Finally a message from me...
Photo credit: Sonny Abesamis at Flickr CC